My HairStory

Last relaxer January 2010
Big Chop May 23, 2010
Colored my twa blonde June 2010
Colored my hair black December 2010
2nd Big Chop February 20, 2011

1. How long have you been natural?
9 months

2. Why and how did you go natural?
I went natural for one simple reason: CHEMICAL BURNS!!! I would only get a relaxer every 3-4 months and I would dread the day because I knew my scalp would be on fire. Although the relaxer burned my scalp, I still had healthy hair. I just couldn’t take it any more.

3. Did you transition long term or do the big chop? Why?
I big chopped 5 months after getting a relaxer (May 23, 2010). I wouldn’t really call it a transition because I would usually go 4 months without a relaxer. I thought I was going to transition for a year, but the two textures were annoying me.

4. How would you describe this experience?
Wow…. It has definitely been an experience. It’s like a rollercoaster ride for me. It’s hard to stay natural, but with support from friends I did it.

5.What was others response to your naturality?
I had mixed opinions. I changed my hair a lot so it wasn’t a big deal when I chopped it all off.

6. Who was your biggest influence/ support? How did they provide support during your natural transition?
I chopped my hair off spontaneously. So my support came 3 months after the big chop when I was frustrated and thought about getting a relaxer. My friends talked me out of it. They said, “you’ve come this far, and cut it all off so there is no point in turning back now”…. I am so thankful for that.

7. What have you learned since being natural? (about yourself, your hair, and other people)
I learned to be patient!!!! I love my hair, but I also like to change it often. So instead of me making drastic changes to my hair, I should get a wig or weave and keep my hair healthy.

8.What advice would you give to those transitioning or considering natural?
Being natural is not easy! You must have that mind set. It takes time. Don’t color your twa, get to know your hair first.

9.Tell us about your hair regimen. What products and techniques do you use? How do you keep your hair moisturized?
    1. I co-wash 3-5 times a week with Sauve Naturals
    2. I deep condition 2-3 times a month
    3. Wash with shampoo as needed
    4. Kinky Kurly Knot Today or Hawiaan Silky keeps my hair mositured
    5. Seal with African Best oil or Doo Grow oil

Comments

Popular Posts